Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wk1 Blog Comments to Dara Easterling


Copyright Issues by Dara Easterling 


Copyright is one of those umbrella issues when you think about it.  By that, I mean that it covers over or is built on the spokes of plagiarism, law, and fair use.  The video that bought this point to light for me is the one called "A Shared Culture" (Creative Commons video).  From the video, I not only got a clearer understanding of the Creative Commons elements but how to identify and properly use the attributes within it.  I noticed that a lot of the things in the video focused on the advent of emerging technologies and the need to enforce copyright even though the Internet or web is supposed to be seen as a 'free frontier.'  As an educator and student, I have used items that are copyright free but know the importance of giving credit to the originator of items that I use from the Internet and to list where necessary, the attribute of an image I have connected to a project or presentation.  I will break down how I see the three terms I have listed as the spokes.  The first spoke is plagiarism, which is the taking of other's work primarily in written format.  Copyright is above this in that you are limited in the work of others that you can take and use for your project or presentation as well as any and all things that are created by someone that is their music, images, etc.  The second spoke is law.  There are more copyright laws out there than those related to plagiarism and re-branding.  They are enforced in educational, business, and social settings.  The other spoke is fair use.  Fair use was said to mean that a small part of a work can be used for (in my case) educational or teaching purposes.  As is relates to copyright, you can fairly use a bit of images or video that are copyrighted as long as it is a necessary piece of the activity for the learner or student and no other options are available.
Source:

Quoted video-  Blip.TV video: A Shared Culture produced by CreativeCommons.org, retrieved from http://blip.tv/file/1192356/ on 5/3/2012



My Comments to Dara Easterling

Dara, I also gained a greater understanding of copyright laws and the issues surrounding it. I have use lots of pictures from the internet without considering weather or not they were copyright protected. I assumed anything on the internet was (like picture and video clips) were public domain. Plagiarism, making copies of CD's, and copying written music were the only things I thought you had to look out for, but I have learned a lot from the videos on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment